What did the course cover?
The workshop offered practical strategies to classroom teachers and others on how to help all children and young people cope with the complexity of their everyday lives and learn to ‘bounce back’ when they experience sadness, difficulties, frustrations, failures and hard times. Resilience skills are particularly important to young people these days as increasing numbers of young people struggle through school and life with social and emotional needs that greatly challenge schools and social services.
This practical one day workshop provided an introduction to:
• Whole school and whole class strategies on building pro-social, value-based school cultures.
• Ways to integrate the teaching of resilient skills into the Primary 1 to Second Year curriculum.
• Classroom topics on pupil well-being and resilience that also meet curriculum outcomes.
• Ideas on how to adopt a literature-based approach to teaching resilience
• Engaging classroom activities based on Cooperative Learning techniques.