Professor Seligman then gives the following instructions:
'Take your list of top strengths, and for each one ask if any of these criteria apply:
- A sense of ownership and authenticity ('This is the real me')
- A feeling of excitement while displaying it, particularly at first
- A rapid learning curve as the strength is first practiced
- Continuous learning of new ways to enact the strength
- A sense of yearning to find ways to use it
- A feeling of inevitability in using the strength ('Try and stop me')
- Invigoration rather than exhaustion while using the strength
- The creation and pursuit of personal projects that revolve round it
- Joy, zest, enthusiasm, even ecstasy while using it.'
If any of these apply to your top strengths then Seligman would see them as your signature strengths.